The longer something is popular, the easier it is for myths to grow about it. This is certainly true for granite. As granite continues to stand the test of time as a favorite for countertops, so too do the myths grow about whether or not it is the best natural stone material on the market. Addressing the myths certainly won’t solve that dilemma – there are many natural stone countertops to choose from and all of them have their own attributes – but it will set the record straight.
1. Granite is trendy. There is a difference between trendy and popular. Trendy implies that something is currently in style but that its status is easily changeable, like the shifting trends in runway fashions or technology. The “trend” toward granite countertops, if one can call it such, has lasted much longer than what we would normally consider a trend. It has spanned decades. Granite countertops have become a staple in today’s homes – a sign of a sophisticated upgrade or solid investment in functional home décor. For those who worry that granite will become a sign that their home is “dated”, consider that granite is a material that lasts a lifetime. It doesn’t age or become less beautiful over time. These are not attributes of trends but rather qualities homeowners continue to look for when they choose materials for their homes.
2. Granite is expensive. It is true that there are less expensive alternatives to granite, such as laminate or tile. However, given the continuing popularity of granite, it is actively harvested from quarries around the world. This abundant supply translates to relatively lower costs to the consumer in comparison to natural stones that are more rare or difficult to access. As granite has remained a top choice for so long, the costs per square foot have continued to go down. Additionally, granite is an investment that will continue to pay returns as it increases a home’s resale appeal and will not need to be replaced or repaired when cared for properly.
3. Granite is high maintenance. Granite is stain, scratch, heat and chemical resistant. It is among the hardest countertop materials available and is not easily damaged. To maintain it, sealing is important; however, contrary to common myths, granite does not need to be sealed often. In fact, there are sealants that give a lifetime warranty against staining with just one single application. Some granites don’t require any sealing at all. On a daily basis, dusting, wiping up spills and using potholders or trivets are the extent of maintenance and these are common to most countertop materials.
4. Granite is not safe for food preparation. Granite countertops are expected and intended to come into contact with food, especially when installed in a kitchen application. That’s why there is testing in place to ensure that granite countertops are safe for food preparation and daily living. MSI meets and in many cases exceeds standards that have been put in place to ensure granite countertops are a good, green option for your home, with certifications from GREENGUARD and the National Sanitation Foundation (NSF). Further, because granite is low in porosity and typically sealed, it is easier to keep clean and is resistant to bacterial growth, which helps to make your home environment healthier for your family!
5. Granite is the most beautiful. Not all myths are false, and granite is certainly beautiful. The crystals within this natural stone formed over thousands of years, catching and reflecting light. Granite is rich and complex with flecks and pebbles in a wide variety of colors and patterns. Each slab is uniquely made by Mother Nature. Whether granite is the most beautiful of natural stones is a matter of taste, but granite is undeniably striking in any application - as countertops, wall cladding and even flooring – and with any finish, from highly polished or honed to brushed or flamed.
Myths aside, granite remains MSI’s most popular surface choice because of its durability and beauty. It may be trendy, but it’s a proven trend that is here to stay. It is a safe and smart investment for your home that will last a lifetime and beyond.
MSI’s premium surface granite collection offers over 250 color patterns for your next project - for your kitchen, bathroom, or other surface. All granite countertop slabs are in-stock and ready for prompt delivery!
Get the latest news on our newest offerings, updates, and industry news straight to your inbox!