Below are some examples of how we have succeeded in making environmentally prudent
changes. Some are little things, some more dramatic but all help reduce the use
of natural resources, increase sustainability and enhance reusability.
- Styrofoam packaging has been the industry standard of packaging and shipping natural
stone tile for many years. Thirty years ago no one really understood the negative
impact of Styrofoam but today we know better. To learn more click here. Over the last 2 years we have succeeded in converting over 95%
of our stone tile suppliers from Styrofoam to cardboard and in many cases post consumer
- MSI imports over 200,000 pallets of tile and stone each year. We have succeeded
in converting over 90% of our suppliers to change from industry standard wood crates
to more environmentally palletized packaging. In the process, MSI has been able
to reduce wood usage by over 70% per pallet, and increase the total square footage
per pallet, in the process saving thousands of trees annually.
- With 100's of thousands of pallets coming and going annually, though used several
times, most eventually end up at a landfill. When we designed the new pallets for
our vendors, we designed them in such a way that a single 40" x 36" pallet can be
reused as is or cut down into four 20" x 18" or two 40" x 18" pallets which then
can be used when shipping smaller orders. Shipping thousands of small orders every
month that don't require a regular sized pallet, we now get up to four times the
use from a single pallet.
- Switched to energy efficient lighting in all 11 locations wherever possible. Reducing
the use of 10's of thousands of kilowatts annually.
Electric instead of gas carts to travel within the facilities.
The following case studies highlight these positive attributes of stone and its
application as a green building product.
- It comes from the earth and is inherently eco-friendly.
- Natural stone has a longer replacement life than all other countertops surfaces
- It is a preferred sustainable building
- It is highly regarded for its natural character and stability
- It is non-toxic and can last for centuries.
- No chemicals go into its quarrying or fabricating
- It is easy to care for and maintain
- It has the environmentally friendly attribute of being recyclable
- It is pure, and therefore void of any foreign substance that might be harmful to
the earth or to your health.
- MSI???s line of mosaics and wall tile is largely manufactured from stone waste.
- MSI???s line of iridescent glass is manufactured using recycled glass.
M S International, Inc. (MSI), has obtained the GREENGUARD Indoor Air Quality Certification
and GREENGUARD Children & Schools Certification ensuring that all MSI products including
natural stone, wall tiles, porcelain, countertops and backsplashes are low-emitting
and contribute to healthier indoor environments. The GREENGUARD Environmental Institute
(GEI) is an industry-independent, not-for-profit organization that establishes acceptable
emissions standards for interior products.
- Products have been proven to emit minimal levels of VOC???s.
- Independent third party certification.
- Communicate corporate commitment to product quality with respect to public health.
- Increase customer confidence.
NSF International (NSF) certifies that applicable M S International,
Inc. (MSI) products conform to the requirements of NSF/ANSI Standard 51??? Food Equipment
Materials. NSF International is an independent non-profit, non-government
organization, which is a global leader of public health and safety risk management
solutions. They provide product certification and safety audits for the food and
Designers are more frequently being asked to identify green building materials but
do not always have the needed information. Using the life-cycle data, material fact
sheets describing several stone types are being generated to provide useful information
in this selection process, among other information. The one-page (double-sided)
documents will summarize the current market for stone, regions of deposits worldwide,
physical properties, applicable ASTM standards, as well as environmental data and
human health considerations.
M S International is a proud member of U.S. Green Building Council (USGBC). Natural Stone currently
qualifies for LEED credits in some areas of the program. The USGBC developed the
Leadership in Energy and Environmental Design (LEED) rating systems to provide a
national standard for green building design. This system defines standards for environmentally
responsible, healthier, and more profitable structures and awards points to new
construction and major renovation projects in five categories.
- Sustainable Sites
- Water Efficiency
- Energy & Atmosphere
- Materials & Resources
- Indoor Environmental Quality
M S International is a member of the Natural Stone Council (NSC). This organization aims
to further position Genuine Stone as the preferred sustainable building material
- Using the five key LEED rating system categories as a guide to research, test, and
substantiate that stone is a natural choice in building green
- Working with an advisory council made up of leading green architects, designers,
and specification writers with intimate knowledge of Genuine Stone and its uses
in building and landscaping
- Promoting Genuine Stone use through media outreach