Summary: The Fleet/Transportation Director oversees company fleet logistics throughout the U.S. and Canada, manages costs and expenses for active operating transportation units, and ensures shipping performance goals are met for all company branches by ensuring all Branches are well staffed with Drivers. Ensures customers receive the highest level of service possible, ensuring complete and on-time delivery with safe, efficient, and effective operations. Continuously improves all aspects of planning, logistics network and management of fleet drivers. Ensures all deliveries are finished product in a manner that reduces complexity, cost and improves visibility of logistics strategy and resulting financial impact to senior leadership.
To perform this job successfully, the individual must be able to do the following:
- Lead and manage all aspects of fleet related matters to improve supply chain efficiencies by implementing best practices
- Lead the fleet expansion initiatives to grow MSI trucks by double in the next 3-5 years
- Collaborate with the CEO & Vice Presidents to articulate and implement transportation related policies and programs to ensure compliance with all state and federal transportation agencies
- Collaborate with key personnel throughout company to identify driver and equipment needs
- Manage Fleet utilization and its equipment lifecycle.
- Make recommendations to Senior Management for purchase/sale of new and existing equipment.
- Recruit, screen, hire and train driving associates in conjunction with Operations and Human Resources
- Manage drivers through local Operations Management teams by administering policies/procedures, documenting disciplinary actions, performance evaluations, and reporting incidents to safety/human resources and management regarding violations
- Assist in evaluating, further developing and designing transportation fleet related projects such as productivity, manpower and workflow
- Manage and improve the recently implemented Descartes dispatch tool
- Manage and improve the use of telematics (GEOTAB) within the transportation network
- Manage and improve the DriveCam technology currently used in all of our fleet equipment
- Engage key stake holders and business partners across the business to help define overall fleet management strategy
- Proactively thought leadership by monitoring industry trends, best practices, and regulatory issues as they relate to the operation of MSI’s fleet.
- Develop the driver team through on-boarding, open communication and consistent training
- Evaluate and recommend dispatch solutions
- Performs additional duties as required and or requested.
Additionally the candidate must meet the following Education and/or Experience requirements:
- FMCSR/DOT experience preferred
- Demonstrated ability to successfully coordinate and interact with customer service and traffic
- Critical thinker employing ROI, root cause analysis and strong problem resolution skills
- Strategic thinking, negotiation, and teamwork skills
- Ability to develop and implement department goals and strategies.
- Strong analytical skills with demonstrated problem solving ability.
- Ability to adapt to fast-paced environments with changing circumstances, direction, and strategy.
- Possess knowledge of innovative distribution practices and technologies, including RFID systems, WMS systems
- Must be able to develop presentations and communicate ideas, issues, and solutions with all levels of employees.
- Capability to develop strategic plans and programs and demonstrate vision to evaluate, plan, and develop cost and improvement initiatives
- Demonstrate ability to create formal training programs and conduct actual training when required. Should have track record of mentoring and developing direct reports and subordinates
- Willingness to do hands-on work within a team environment
- Travel up to 15% of the time
- Possess a valid driver's license and be able to drive a Company vehicle
- Performs additional duties as required and or requested.
- Bachelor’s degree and/or college coursework is required
- Minimum of 2 years of fleet management experience
- Experience in managing fleet procurement, truck drivers, dispatching, projects, and schedules
- Background with corporate structure within a third party/private fleet transportation environment
- Ability to be self-directed
- Excellent oral and written English language communication skills
- Provide high level of customer service
- Excellent organizational skills.
This role has the following physical demands:
- The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to use hands to finger, handle, or feel objects, tools, or controls; reach with hands and arms; and talk or hear. The employee frequently is required to sit. The employee is occasionally required to stand and walk.
- The employee must occasionally lift and/or move up to 25 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision.
Benefits: MSI offers a comprehensive benefits package that includes:
- Referral, Holiday, and Annual Bonuses
- Annual pay increases
- Paid Time Off
- Medical, Dental, and Vision Insurance
- Company-paid Short Term and Long Term disability;
- Company-paid Life Insurance
- Tuition Reimbursement
- Traditional and Roth 401(k) plans with company matching contributions
- Charitable donation matching programs
- Free, company-sponsored 1-on-1 tutoring for children/dependents of MSI employees in grades k-12, including free tutoring for SAT and ACT tests.
About MSI: Founded in 1975, MSI is a leading supplier of flooring tile, countertops, wall and backsplash tile and hardscaping surfaces products in North America. Headquartered in Orange, California, MSI also maintains over 30 state-of-the-art showroom and distribution centers across the U.S. and Canada. MSI's product line includes an extensive offering of Granite, Quartz, Porcelain, Luxury Vinyl flooring, Slate, Marble, Travertine, Sandstone, Limestone, Quartzite, onyx, stacked stone and pavers imported from over 36 countries on six continents.
Over the years, MSI has been the recipient of many prestigious awards including:
- Top 5 fastest growing companies - OC Business Journal
- Supplier Diversity Award - Home Depot
- #1 Flooring Distributor multiple years in a row - Floor Covering Weekly
- Top Workplaces Award winner multiple times - Top Workplaces
- MSI Founder named the Entrepreneur of the Year - Ernst and Young
MSI is an equal opportunity employer that celebrates diversity and fosters inclusion and belonging for all employees. We provide a work environment that allows all employees to do their best work, free from all forms of discrimination. No employee or applicant will be discriminated against on the basis of race, ethnicity, age, sex, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, citizenship status, military status, religion, disability status, or any other legally protected group. MSI provides reasonable accommodations for all employees and applicants. If you believe you require an accommodation, please speak with your recruiter or a member of our HR team.